Friday, June 11, 2010

Neighbors to Neighbors


I have a neighbor named Kathy - well, we haven't actually lived next door to one another for about 8 years. She has remained a great friend who would do anything for anyone, including me. She lives in Millbury. Her neighbors are suffering greatly. She is dedicated to helping her neighbors; I am trying to help her do that.
I had planned a trip out to Millbury today to deliver food to Kathy for her son, Cooper's, graduation party tomorrow. She called to see if I would be willing to assist her in a project this afternoon. Kathy wanted to transplant & "foster" rose bushes and other plants from her neighbors yards that were destroyed. Nicole & I headed out with shovels, buckets & the desire to help her with her project.
Many may see this as a futile effort that is not necessary in the grand scheme of things. The homeowners have insurance for these things. I get that. Plants may be the last thing on these homeowners minds right now. However, I'm with Kathy on this one. If our little effort can possibly give someone a little bit of their past, we'll do it. Being a gardener myself, I am attached to many of my plants. I remember where they came from, when I planted them, etc. I can only imagine rebuilding my home and then facing the task of starting the gardens from scratch. If someone brought me my beloved hydrangeas that they had salvaged from the wreckage - wow - I would be overwhelmed with gratitude and emotion.
As I had heard, the devastation from the tornado cannot be imagined. It is truly heartbreaking to see the leveled homes, businesses & farms. Personal belongings strewn up & down the streets & in tree tops, christmas ornaments crushed in the grass, kids decorations in rooms with no walls. Some of the visual memories from today I wish I could erase from my mind. Such sadness.
The only good from all this is seeing all the volunteers out helping their neighbors - endlessly working side by side. Kathy's foreign exchange student from Germany can not get over all the help from everyone. She says this eagerness to help would not happen in her country. The American Spirit at its finest.
Please consider donating to the Red Cross (they are very present) or donating time. The afternoon we spent creating our "foster gardens" was so very worth it when I know it gives some satisfaction to my neighbor, who is trying to help her neighbors.

No comments: