Monday, March 22, 2010

Weekly DIps

OK, catching up & trying to get on track with Weekly Dips.
I wanted to touch a bit on what to do with all your digital images...
It seems as if everyone is constantly snapping pictures, whether with a digital SLR, point & shoot or camera phone. It has become so easy to record images and capture memories everywhere. However, how many of you back these up or even print them out? Leaving them on the flash card is risky; those cards are so tiny & can be damaged easily. Creating folders on your computer is an easy measure for temporary sorting & storing. Your images should be stored in a more permanent fashion since we all know that computers crash all too often!
Consider backing your images up on CD's, DVD's or portable hard drives. All of these are inexpensive, easy to use & offer storage off of your computer. Not only do you avoid the risk of a computer crash, but you will free up needed space on your computer.
Carbonite & other online back up storage services are available for a low nominal fee. This assures that your images and data are protected in case of disaster in your home & accessible by you at any time.
The last & I feel most important way to preserve your images - have them printed! So many people are now uploading their images to online galleries, Facebook, etc. That is fine for friends & family to view, but please print these for yourselves to have in the future. I cherish my countless albums full of family events and memories. We can lose hours looking through these books & reminiscing. I just don't think it will be the same to sit around the computer with our grandchildren clicking on photos online. Can you depend on these online galleries to still be around in 40 years or more?
Obviously, backing up images is a huge priority to me as it is my business to retain these for others as well as myself. I back up with Carbonite, portable hardrive and on DVD. I back up all our personal images the same way & once a year, during the slower winter months, I have all the images from the past year printed. It takes some effort & money to go through & print them all at once, however, I lose track during the year. I buy slip in (acid free) albums & get them all filed away. It is my traditional annual winter project & I get peace of mind that I have saved all those memories of special events through the year.
Thanks & please send me your comments & thoughts for future topics. Happy Spring!

No comments: